Zaiwalla & Co.:
Established in 1982, Zaiwalla & Co is the first law firm in the one square mile financial district of the City of London, started by a solicitor born outside of Europe. The practice began in shipping arbitration, working primarily for the Indian Government, before expanding into commercial law.
The firm’s diverse team of lawyers specialise in International Arbitration, Commercial Litigation and Public International Law with sector experience in Banking, Oil & Gas and Energy, Construction, Shipping, Company Commercial and Corporate Crime.
Zaiwalla & Co has proven experience in turning a difficult case into a success and has set a legal precedent by employing a novel approach to a case that other law firms deemed ‘hopeless’.
The ability to think differently to achieve success is why the firm is chosen not only by companies in the Fortune 500 and Forbes lists, but by SMEs and Private Individuals all over the globe.
Burnished Law Journal:
Aims to provide a number of legal journal articles & practical update of law. We actively invite people to share their research on contemporary issues of law, so as to enable the growth and understanding of the aspects of the law to the individual in the society. The main goal of Burnished Law Journal includes topic on socio-legal, socio-economic or any other law related topic or social issues.
ABOUT THE EVENT:
This is the first edition of Zaiwalla & Co. National Online Debate Competition reckoning the COVID-19 pandemic. The competition aims at inculcating a healthy debate culture amongst students and preparing them to defend what they truly believe in. The competition will be judged by a panel of eminent jury members and we hope that through this platform, students get another activity to exercise their brains and maintain the spirit of education despite being locked inside their homes.
Chief guest :
G. R Raghvender Joint Seceratry, Department of Justice, Ministry of Law & Justice. He Is civil servant from Central Secretariat Service (CCS) 1988.
• The last date for online registration is 23rd June 2020. The link for online
registration is- https://forms.gle/
• Registration fee of INR 300/- will have to be paid before filling of the registration
form. Participant will have to upload a screenshot of successful payment made in
• Mode of Payment: PayTM, Google Pay, PhonePe (+917254849058).
• Last date of Registration – 23rd June 2020
• Knockout Round – 25th June 2020
• Final Round – 26th June 2020
1. Participation shall be on an individual basis.
2. The event is open to all students of India.
3. The competition shall follow the amended version of Lincoln- Douglas format i.e. one to one debate.
4. Registrations shall be accepted on till 11:59 pm of 23rd June 2020.
5. The competition shall be conducted in two rounds:
a. Knockout Round;
b. Final Round.
6. The motion for knockout round is “PM Care Fund is a Public Authority”; & for the final round, the motion shall be provided one the day prior to the round.
7. Each participant is required to prepare for both sides of the motion, i.e. ‘For’ and ‘Against’ the topic.
8. The organizers shall, one day prior to the commencement of round one, communicate with the participant(s) the particular side (for/ against) they need to speak for.
9. No requests for any kind of changes shall be entertained.
10. Written material can be used only for citing statistics and case laws.
11.Usage of any abusive language shall implicate immediate disqualification of candidature.
12. Use of Webcam while speaking is mandatory.
13. At any point of conflict, the decision of the organising committee would be final and binding.
14. The Competition will be conducted online over Zoom App. Organizing Committee will schedule every zoom meeting and will share the Meeting ID and Password to the participants 30 minutes prior to the debate.
15. E-Certificate of participation will be provided to all the participants on the email ID provided at the time of registration.
STRUCTURE OF THE COMPETITION: Knockout Round
• Each participant speaking in favour of the motion shall be paired with a participant speaking against the motion and teams shall be constituted on this basis.
• From each team the participant speaking in favour of the motion shall first be called upon to speak, followed by the participant speaking against the motion.
• Each participant shall be given 4 minutes to speak and 1 minute to rebut the opponent.
• Top 10 participants shall qualify for the Finals.
• The Motion for this round is “PM Cares Fund is a Public Authority”
• Each participant shall be 5 minutes to speak and 2 minutes to rebut the opponent.
• The winner and the runner-up shall be decided on the basis of the highest and second highest marks scored individually.
• The Motion for the Final round will be provided one the day of knockout round i.e. 25th June 2020.
Judging Criteria :
Content and structure- 10 Marks
Communication Skills and clarity -10 Marks
Flow of Ideas-10 Marks
Relevance of argument-10Marks
1st prize: INR 2,000/ + Internship at UKCA and Partners
2nd prize: INR 1,200/+ Internship at UKCA and Partners
Best Speaker: INR 800/-+ Internship at Burnished Law Journal
ANY DOUBT? WE ARE HERE TO SOLVE THEM:
Ritu Raj (Founder & Publisher of Burnished Law Journal): +91 7254849058
Ankita Kar (Coordinator): +91 7978252499
Sakshi Arya (Coordinator): +91 8956210032